Friday, September 27, 2013

Changing Table -Turned Dog Bed

A couple of weeks ago, I ran across a beat up, run down changing table on the side of the road. It was no longer safe to put a baby on. It was missing two shelves, and was super rickety. Because it was made of real wood and had interesting spindles, I felt the need to bring it home and make something out of it.
The hubs was obviously unhappy that I was bringing more junk home;o) Story of our lives, right?
Anyway, I thought it would make a perfect pet bed.
 This is how it started out. 
I used an electric hand saw and chopped the legs off. That was definitely an experience. Note to self...use a sharp blade next time. I was literally shaking so hard that I had blurred vision while cutting this piece because the blade wouldn't cut through the wood:o) 
I sanded down the feet to get a nice edge.
I then ripped the safety buckles off of the bottom.
And then spray painted it.
The cushion is made from painters' canvas and two large pillows from my couch in the bonus room.
I made the cover removable by adding a zipper to the back. That way when it gets dirty, I can just throw it in the wash.
Not bad for a roadside rescue?